Saturday, January 24, 2009

Home Cooking: Serimuka



my mother's industrious glad wrapping before I could take a photo XD

Thought I would do some dessert for Chinese New Year Reunion dinner tomorrow night and I would contribute a dessert ^^ Plus granny loves the sweet stuff - so I dedicate this to her. This is an old favourite of my family - Serimuka. It is a layer of glutinous rice with a layer of coconut custard... essentially a less thick version of kaya. PS thanks to my fathers plant growing skills I had plenty of pandan leaves to choose from :)

(PS if you are interested in buying a pandan plant please email me or drop me a msg on the blog!)



Recipe: (I 1 1/2 times everything as I used a 23 cm tin rather than a 20cm tin)

Rice layer

300g uncooked glutinous rice washed and soaked overnight
200ml thin coconut milk
1 tsp salt
1 pandanus leaf tied into a knot (ok I threw in 5 leaves cos I love the extra flavour)

1. Wash the glutinous rice in several changes of water. Then cover with fresh water and soak for at least 3 hours (or overnight) and drain the rice
2. Place the rice in a shallow, round or square pan 20cm across. Mix the coconut milk and salt together and add this to the rice
3. Bury the pandanus leaf in the rice and steam until the rice is cooked - 20-30 min (when cooked the rice looks translucent; mine took about 35 min)
4. Remove the leaf and fluff the rice with a fork
5. Then using a cup or something with a flat bottom, cover it with aluminium foil and press the rice down to form an even, compact layer
6. Steam for a further 15 minutes (I did it for 18 min)

trying to bury the pandan leaves

time to fluff up the rice!


smooshed rice

Pandanus Juice (for the custard layer)

6-8 Pandan leaves
150 ml water

1. Cut leaves into 2cm strips and blend with water
2. Strain


Pandan leaves in a jar and my mums barmix


smells of lawn

Custard Layer

3 medium eggs
200ml coconut milk
180g castor sugar
100 ml pandanus juice
4 tsp cornflour
2 tbsp + 1 tsp plain flour

1. Combine eggs, coconut milk and sugar in a mixing bowl, stirring with a whisk or wooden spoon
2. Add pandanus juice, cornflour, plain flour. Stir well until smooth and free of lumps. (I added a couple drops of colouring and a little bit of pandan essence)
3. Strain the mixture into a heatproof bowl an dset this bowl over a pan of gently simmering water
4. Stir continuously until the custard just begins to thicken - do not overcook!
5. Pour this over the rice very gently and pop any large bubbles that appear
6. Steam on a gentle heat (otherwise the custard will have a bubbled surface) until set - 25 min (mine was about 35 and don't open the steamer to keep looking hehehe I was very tempted!)
7. Allow cake to cool

hehehehe so green!!

steaming


YUMMMM!!


Enjoy! ^^




Cupcake

5 comments:

ChocolateSuze said...

YUM!!! oh man this is my favourite dessert EVER!!! i love all things pandan nomnom thanks for the recipe!

D said...

i want this so badly

*cry*

cupcake said...

chocolatesuze: no problems^^ glad to find a fellow pndan lover lol I miss all the kueh shops in singapore and their easy access >< such good stuff!!!

D: will make it next time we have a get together hehehehe probably next time I'm on holiday! Or maybe a very belated birthday gift?? :P

Unknown said...

YUM, reminds me of KL!! ooh I'm interested in buying pandan leaves =D

cupcake said...

Linda: Hi there! you are more than welcome to buy one from me - here is my email: ice.fox.ln@gmail.com. Send me an email so I can nut out the details with you ^^ Would you like the plant or just some leaves?